Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong. Let all your things be done with charity. 1 Corinthians 16:13-14
I like the New American Standard translation . . . Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. All that you do must be done in love. There is a lot packed in this short verse about competence in living a consequential Christian life.
- Watch ye – to be alert, awake, and to know what is going on. Be aware of what the adversary is doing and what is going on in your life. Do not exist in a spiritual stupor where you fall prey to Satan, temptation, apathy, or false doctrine.
- Stand fast in the faith – to be firm in what you believe and what you know to be true. Do not let human wisdom infect and twist your faith. The lies and garbage of the world are incompatible with the revelation of God.
- Quit you like men – to act like men. That is to be mature and courageous. Do not be childish in your understanding of the word.
- Be strong – be strengthened by the lord and the power of his might. Resist temptation and be resolute in seeking and following the will of God.
- Let all your things be done with charity – Do all this with an attitude of love. A love that is not of emotion but is self-sacrificing service to the one in need. We should temper a staunch defense of the faith with brotherly love.
Being spiritually alert, steadfast, mature, and strong in love will make you what God wants you to be. Living by these principles results in a powerful, transformed life. Those who remain spiritually stunted, oblivious to the pursuit of the faith, are at great risk of being devoured by our adversary.
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8